Sunday, February 27, 2011

In which I realize I'm still knitting wrong...

A few years ago I found out that I wasn't knitting properly. My mom'd taught me ages ago to knit basically continental style, and that worked fine as long as you were pretty much just straight knitting and purling, but not for much else. I found this out when I went to make something I think in the round and it just wasn't working. What I realized was that mom'd taught me to knit so the stitches lay with the right piece in *back* of the needle, not in front. Once I realized this wasn't right, I fixed it and had it in front and everything worked out. I never paid attention that purling then wouldn't work because in the round you're just knitting and it always worked. Come to now. I'm making Emilien for my boyfriend and it's all just knit and purled. I know how to knit, but when I purled like mom'd taught me, the knits came out with the wrong leg on the wrong side of the needle like they did the way mom'd taught me. I go searching around the internet and see what I'm doing wrong and so now I know. I hate it though. I'll keep making the sweater because I love it and I love my boyfriend and want to make it for him, and purling is getting easier, but I'm not loving it like I do knitting. I'll learn to love it I guess because I can't just keep knitting in the round or knitting like mom taught me (because, while it's great for just knitting and purling, adding much of a pattern at all gets a little iffy). Here's to learning to love to knit again...

No comments: